Friday, May 10, 2013

Celebrations are in order

I stated in the previous post that all of the work from the past year-and-a-half was done for free.  This is not entirely true.  First, I did received 1500 Euros for a stale contract.  Two of the papers on arxiv are offshoots of that work.  But more importantly, I received a $10 donation quite recently.  This is actually my first donation, and it's still sitting in my Paypal acount--or at least what's left of it after the fees.  Once a few more donations start rolling in I intend to divert them to a dedicated account. 

Why did I not announce it sooner?  First of all, and I don't know if this says something about me or about society in general or perhaps both, but when I first received the e-mail, I assumed it was a scammer.  I even filled out an electronic report to the RCMP about it!  It turns out my Paypal account hadn't been verified.  Second, after almost two years of dedicated work as an independent research scientist this is all I have to show for it, at least monetarily.  I realize the necessity, passed down to us from all the great moral teachers, of gratitude.  But I am somewhat embarassed about this.

Anyway, thanks very much to William Oquendo for your generous donation to the libAGF project!

No comments: